Tuesday, December 3, 2019

A Bit Of A Shill

This seems like something at least some people who read this would enjoy: I’ve recently been following a miniseries done by Canadian sketch comedy troupe LoadingReadyRun called Road Quest. What it is is basically having six of their members going on a road trip across British Columbia together in a style reminiscent of Top Gear and though of course it was scaled down to a more reasonable budget, there’s clearly a lot of heart that’s been put into it.

What I especially like is that it’s clear all the participants are actually friends with each other, like, when Top Gear’s hosts sniped at each other over walkie-talkies, you could occasionally sense some actual malice behind it (to my ears, at least). And maybe it’s my own projections onto the lives of each on-screen personality, but that’s not really there in Road Quest. Sure, there are moments of unfamiliarity -- a few of the duos admit that they never truly interacted with each other before the trip -- but that adds its own layer of charm to the proceedings as we, the viewers, watch that relationship grow over the course of ten days.

I don’t want to leave out the cinematography, either. There are several beautiful drone shots throughout the series that really emphasize the landscapes that these teams come across. But those you’ll have to see for yourself.

I’ve put a link to the first episode below. There are twelve planned episodes -- they’re up to Episode Seven now -- with a new one posted every Monday. I really hope you all enjoy it as much as I have; I wouldn’t share it if I didn’t love it.

-F


No comments:

Post a Comment