Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Road Tripping

I’ve ridden my fair share of long car rides and am about to go on another one. I don’t really have any advice, or super secret tech, though. Like, ten hours in a car is still ten hours in a car no matter how you look at it. But at the same time, it almost becomes like a sort of ritual? “Here are the things I’ll do in the car,” I say to myself every time, and some of those things even come true!

I’m also relatively young -- maybe that’s part of it. I can stand being in a car for hours on end while the world just passes by me. I’m also rarely the one driving. I can offer, and I have offered, but I frequently get turned down. So it really is just an exercise in staying in one seat for a while and the relatively young bones certainly do help.

There has also been an uptick in things to do. Books were always an option if one isn’t the type to get motion sick but various handheld devices can make the hours whiz by. And there’s always the hope for more sleep. Or the notes I have to read from various writing workshops. Or composing something wholly new. Any of these can pass an hour or two.

And other people? It depends on the people, I guess. But if you don’t want to deal with them, well, that’s what headphones are for, right?

-F

No comments:

Post a Comment