Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Terraforming (Part One)

I had an idea for a bigger post about this, but I guess I should start with an introduction about it before I dive in. The best way to describe it would be to dramatically misuse this Hamilton lyric:

“I don’t pretend to know
The challenges you’re facing
The worlds you keep erasing and creating in your mind”

I’ve never really had a world to my own to play in. For a while, I just borrowed other authors’ worlds. Fanfiction, especially when ignoring canon characters and only using their world, is very liberating in that respect. Occasionally I still toy around with single paragraphs in these worlds. I only stopped because I got frustrated never truly finishing anything before moving on.

Well, I say “I never had my own world,” but that wasn’t for lack of trying. At the very least, I’ve always tried to add in old, unused bits of worldbuilding into whatever fragment of writing I do. Maybe it’s just a newspaper name -- The <City Name> Daily Comet is a particular favorite -- maybe it’s a historical event I can mention in narration. But it still never felt like a world until I put a name to it.

Enter Naviim.

So maybe this wasn’t the most productive post in terms of elaborating on its title. I spent more time about me than the world that’s slowly become mine. But like the “Part One” in the title implies, I’m not done writing about this just yet. It just might take a little longer to get there.

-F

No comments:

Post a Comment