Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Sick Music

I don’t know if I’m sick or under the weather or just not feeling it and suffering from some writer’s block, but I’m not in the greatest of writing moods. I did promise something positive for this week, though, so let’s talk about music for a bit. Just some quick paragraphs about songs and artists I like and maybe you readers can find something you enjoy as well?

I’ve been on a pretty big electronic kick lately, actually. It started with Justice (example song: Audio, Video, Disco) which I’ve blogged about here before, which extended into synthwave and darkwave (I think those are the genre names? Genres are confusing, but that's a topic for another blog post) with artists like Carpenter Brut (ex: Le Perv) and Perturbator (ex: Birth of the New Model). About the same time this happened, too, someone recommended The Prodigy (ex: Memphis Bells) to me, and while that’s not really any of the genres of the first three artists I mentioned, it’s still within my personal wheelhouse of “things I like”.

That doesn’t mean I don’t listen to acoustic music anymore. I’m very much on the Black Midi (ex: Talking Heads) train, and I still go back to artists like Barns Courtney (ex: Rather Die) and Poe (ex: Haunted). It’s actually a nice feeling, going back to songs you haven’t heard in a while and realizing you still know all the lyrics, or well enough that you can sing along to the chorus at least.

What else? Well, there’s The Budos Band (ex: Old Engine Oil) if you’re looking for something jazzy. Or Katzenjammer (ex: Tea With Cinnamon) if you’re looking for something a bit more indescribable (Wikipedia says Country/Balkan? I guess that works. Again, genres are hard). Or there’s-

Look, the point of this exercise was to get something on paper for this week, and I think that part worked out.I’m not saying I could throw out recommendations until the end of time, but I am still, well, I am still not feeling the greatest. I do hope you enjoy what I picked out for you all, though. I tried to stay away from a given artist’s biggest hits in an effort to try and attract you to more of their music if you like what you hear. So give them a listen!

-F

No comments:

Post a Comment