Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Late

Yeah, that promise to get a post out on Friday over at NSS Reviews didn’t really go so well, did it? There are excuses I could give, reasons that I only managed to get a review of Roma up four days after I said I would, but what I’d rather look at is my mentality going into that weekend.

I kind of alluded to this last week: there was always a “this is probably going to fail” mentality with regards to NSS Reviews. All the reasons it might have failed in my head haven’t happened yet, but I the fact that it was my opening mental state was probably not the right headspace to be in. There wasn’t a good solution to the obstacles that came up that particular Friday, but there certainly were opportunities between then and a few hours ago in regards to getting something, anything, written up.

Deadlines are important to me. I mean, they do make nice wooshing sounds as they fly by (thanks, Douglas Adams), but if they’re hard enough -- that is, if I’m not the only one holding myself to them -- then I can be disciplined enough to keep them. That’s why this blog has lasted as long as it has, my brother blog, Secret Asian Man and I have continued to trade off days and sometimes I get to lord it over him when he misses a day or two. And because I know how bad I get when that happens, I definitely don’t want that happening to me in return.

But on the other hand, I do like how my Roma review eventually turned out, and it’s certainly because of that extra time that I managed to put it together. I mean, I’m sure I’ll hate it eventually as I develop my structure and its flaws make themselves more apparent, but right now I’m happy with it. So I don’t know.

I’m still going to try for Friday, but hey, maybe a few days here or there won’t hurt anyone. But like I said last week, it’s always going to be Tuesday or bust over here.

-F

1 comment: