Tuesday, January 14, 2020

The More Things Change

After spending so much time off, I finally went back to work the other day and, well, not much changed, really. The same people are still there, they might have different schedules but they’re all still there; the same equipment is still there, with all of their problems still left unfixed; and the same regulars still show up ordering the same things. And I guess this shouldn’t be too surprising -- I didn’t leave for that long in the grand scheme of things -- but it still feels like, I don’t know, like one of these things was supposed to change.

Maybe I’m just overlooking things. We used to have a pretty sizeable pothole in our parking lot, for example. That was paved over. A light in the kitchen now works again (even as the ceiling around it has gotten worse and worse). New dishes are about to appear on the menu. Change blindness could easily be in effect here for loads of other things. But the atmosphere overall still feels the same.

I guess, in a way, that’s comforting, though. After being away for so long, it’s not a and especially while I’m still a little jet-lagged, it’s not a bad feeling to immerse myself in the familiar again.

-F

No comments:

Post a Comment