Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Terraforming (Part Four): The Lighthouse

I’ve recorded in the past how I tend not to remember my dreams and how that’s lead to them becoming something of a minor fascination of mine. Most of that is still true, though I do occasionally catch glimpses now. I remember having them, at the very least. This post is still about a fictional dream, but it’s one that pervades my thoughts and demands a setting to be placed in.

It’s been a while since I’ve written here about Naviim, that fictional kingdom I throw so many ideas into, throwing worldbuilding elements into it like they’re all magnets on a fridge, rearranging them as I see fit. That’s what happens when you’re working with two or three periods in the kingdom’s history. In this case, I imagine this particular element as a sort of bridge between the two.

What I imagine is this ethereal lighthouse haunting people’s dreams, a sort of eldritch location that just shows up. It doesn’t do anything malicious (at least, not yet), but it does seem to cause people to obsess about it, desperate to find its physical manifestation even though one might not exist.

Now, astute readers might notice how in the first paragraph I introduced the lighthouse as something that “pervades my thoughts,” while later introducing the same elements into the fictional world as well. One might presume that it’s sort of memetic trap similar to, say, The Game (the one you just lost) or Roko’s Basilisk (don’t look that one up). But I don’t think so. It’s probably just me. Though that’s probably what they always say right before it starts.

In any case, because of its probable lack of, you know, corporeal-ness, it could easily withstand the apocalypse. As long as there is somebody to look for it, it exists. What happens after that? Well, I haven’t quite figured that part out yet. I just wanted to get something about it written down. I’m sure I’ll let you all know, though.

-F

No comments:

Post a Comment