Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Change For The Better(?)

Work has been going through something of a restructuring recently. Now, to be fair to them, it’s a new business quarter, so it’s probably the right time to, but the fact that they’re all seemingly happening at once means that they border on overwhelming. Some of these I’ve mentioned to people already, but just for the sake of completeness, let’s go through each of them:

Staff changes aplenty have happened. In addition to losing six workers due to various reasons and having to hire en masse for those, we’ve also got a new shift manager who’s been acclimating themselves to the new environment. Everyone seems good so far, though it’s still pretty easy to tell who has been around for longer than who.

We’ve also switched up our menu. We’ve swapped out three or four dishes for new ones, and though I would have liked to have seen us maintain the split between geographical regions we had before, I do have to admit that the new dishes do taste pretty good. One of them, though, has the awful corporate portmanteau of zucchini and spaghetti, and “zuccheti” is not ever going to be a thing, I guarantee it. I’ve spent more time explaining what it is and how to pronounce it than taking orders for it.

With the menu change comes an aesthetic change as well. The old menu was confusing, yes, and this one may or may not be better (I get too used to these things too quickly to tell for sure), but it does certainly clash with the rest of our labelling. Now, I’m not saying I would have done better, but I would have thought about all the smaller, yet noticeable details in the redesign. For example, a lot of our wall decor now references dishes we no longer serve. But maybe we’re saving that particular change until we run out of cups and bags and chopsticks with the wrong restaurant name on them.

On a more “sausage is made” level, we’ve gotten new equipment! Well, some new equipment, and by “equipment,” I mean, “stuff that doesn’t work/fit/something else.” I won’t go into too much detail on that, but suffice to say, we’ve had a couple things that just don’t work and it’d be nice if they did, thanks.

We’ve also tried moving extra supplies around. I’ve been told that this will be a “one weird day where we can’t find anything but will be better in the long run” sort of deals, but I’m not entirely sure about that. So far, it mostly just seems like people have been moving things around just to move things, just to change things up. It’s all the same stuff and it’s all the same nooks and crannies, so I don’t know.

I don’t mean to be complaining all the time. A lot of these, in reality, are just minor gripes stretched out into paragraph-long problems. I mean, the store still runs like it used to, so things haven’t really gotten worse. But things are happening, even if I don’t write about them right away.

-F

No comments:

Post a Comment