Tuesday, April 30, 2019

A Callback I Didn't Want To Make

This post is going to be shorter than normal because I had to finish up some schoolwork and had a final earlier today. While I’m busy not thinking about school, though, let’s talk about work.

One would think that, after not having an oven mitt for a good month once upon a time, a restaurant would stock up on them. Maybe order, like, five at once and just go through them intermittently until the next stocking period. I say this because once again, there isn’t a single oven mitt in my workplace.

The worst part is we just got the supply truck that would have had one, so I know we won’t be getting another one for a month or so. And because we also laid off six people (about a quarter of the store’s employees), I know I’m going to be working in the kitchen more often, which means just a little bit extra percentage chance I’m going to burn my hand.

This feels like my “sausage is made” situation. I mean, I could figure out jamming five or six teenagers and twenty-somethings in an open kitchen could lead to problems, and I kind of figured that’s what most restaurants were like anyways, but it seems like -- especially recently -- we’re operating by the skin of our teeth. Something will go wrong or we’ll run out of something and have to make do. A few weeks ago our water heater broke and that was the first time I’d heard about us missing a day.

So I don’t know. Last time I wondered what truly was necessary to run the store, but these days, I’m not sure I want to truly find out.

-F

No comments:

Post a Comment