Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Christmas Music

This is sort of a follow-up to the last post I made about music in the workplace, so the first thing I want to say is that, while it hasn’t gotten better by any stretch of the imagination, it also hasn’t really gotten any worse. I can narrow down the songs I don’t particularly enjoy down to a select few, noticed and appreciated a few more, and the rest I can easily tune out at this point.

But of course, all that gets thrown out the window once the holiday season rolls around. The Saturday after Thanksgiving, I walked into work and was immediately greeted by what I can only describe as somebody drunkenly mumbling their way through Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

This has happened for three Christmas seasons in a row and it still catches me off guard. Like, I know our playlist is bad, but the sudden (if not unexpected) addition of holiday cheer still finds new ways to disappoint. I can’t even give a good example of the type of music they play there; just looking for it would probably make me want to one-up Van Gogh and chop off both ears.

So far, I have been able to identify two leading factors in why this is the case (that is, why not just normal-people Christmas songs?). The first is that repetition would probably breed contempt for just about anything. It hasn’t happened to the songs I do like in the playlist because they only come up so often.

The second is that, as I learned recently, the playlist is actually a Youtube Music playlist, which means it’s curated by someone, and the someone that puts together the normal music set probably also picks the Christmas songs. So really, the entire store has to suffer because of one person’s bad taste.

Well, that’s not entirely fair. There’s no Carol of the Bells on there to terrify me, for example, and some good songs do make it through. But just like the rest of the list, the ratio of good songs to bad is very lopsided.

Maybe that’s the point. Maybe our music is designed this way so that the good songs stand out more. I doubt it, but that’s one of the ways I keep hope alive in this minimum-wage world, I guess. It’s certainly a better thought than the alternative.

-F

2 comments:

  1. Why don’t you like carol of the bells

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't say I didn't like it! It just terrifies me. Like, if Christmas-themed horror movies were enough of a genre to inspire cynical cash-grab-type films, Carol of the Bells would be a part of all of their soundtracks. It's that sort of "upbeat but dissonant" sort of song where you expect something to go wrong during it (for example: The Killing of a Sacred Deer)

      More specifically, I think it's scary because choir arrangements tend to devote too many people to the melody, so the slight variations between voices turn out uncanny to me more than anything. Also the Trans-Siberian Orchestra version is always played a bit too loud (though I guess for them, that's part of the point).

      Delete