Tuesday, June 19, 2018

A Good Enough Place to Pause

This probably doesn’t mean what you think it means, or rather, it doesn’t mean what you think it means if you’re the one other person I know of who has been following The Familiar series and has been disappointed with the more recent updates. Instead, I offer a reflection on how the Raindrops on Roses series has been going on so far.

I think I’ve settled into the whole “Movie, Game, Book” cycle, offering three at a time in the hopes that someone who doesn’t like any one of them on principle will only have to wait a week or two to find something that more suits their interests. That being said, these are still my interests and no one else’s, so it’s entirely possible that none of these things appeal to you. If that’s the case, well, I hope you take solace in learning a bit more about me, then.

One of the things I noticed when writing the second set of three was how they shared at least a little of the same themes, or at least I tried to touch on the same themes. House of Leaves was kind of an outlier there; I wanted to write about how some people see the story as less of a horror and more of a romance (similar to Shaun of the Dead’s mix of zombies and romantic comedies), and that might have been forced in in the end. But I still wrote them as linked in the way they deal with broken relationships, and how the stories try to mend those relationships each in their own way (pigs, eldritch horror, or mythological monsters respectively). And that’s something I’d like to keep moving forwards.

So here’s the theme for the next set: Theatre. We’ll start with what many call the best Batman movie and work our way from there.

-F

No comments:

Post a Comment