Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Raindrops on Roses (Part Zero) -- A Change of Pace

I think I’ve been complaining too much. That is to say, I think I’ve gotten into this writing loop where, when trying to think of something to write about for this blog, my mind immediately goes to picking something apart, to reflecting negatively on some subject that crosses my mind at some point during the week prior. Even now I’ve entered into some sort of meta-complaining, where I’m reflecting on the direction this blog has taken.

The problem even there is that I haven’t been complaining in the actual content of these posts. This means the “I’ve been complaining too much” thought doesn’t hold up. Just the mentality behind it. So even if these posts have been well-reasoned analyses of problems that totally exist outside of my own head, it’s hindered by how I go about writing them.

I feel like I’ve been associating negativity with the style that I write in. I tend to write in long, meandering sentences that lose the point halfway through, only barely coming back to the original point if they do at all. And I’m not sure how to change this style -- even if I want to! -- without forcing myself to do so. The same goes for the mood of these pieces; if I want to get out of this negative headspace I’m going to have to force myself to.

Like the Terraforming (Part One) post from late January, this is more of an introduction to a writing idea I’ve been developing for a week or two. I want to get away from this headspace that this blog can put me in, so every once in a while I’m going to try to talk about some things I really like. Some of them might be a little alien to my readers -- just because some nerdy things are accepted doesn’t mean they’re not still pretty obscure -- so part of the series is to introduce these things to you. And in the end, I hope you find something you enjoy in these posts as well.

-F

No comments:

Post a Comment