Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Terraforming (Part Three) -- Great Artists Steal

I still don’t know how Naviim was created (again, in universe. Of course I know how I made it), but I do know how it ends. To be more specific, I stole how it ends. I stole Naviim’s grand apocalypse from someone else.

That shouldn’t be too surprising, right? There are so many archetypal apocalypses that me having one isn’t that big a deal, right? If Naviim fell to the inexorable tide of Zombies, initially spawned in the capital and pushed east by their insatiable lust for blood, that wouldn’t be held against me, right?

Right?

So, I was playing some horror games to celebrate Halloween, and came across a text-based adventure called Hornets by someone who goes by Kitty Horrorshow. I’ve been a fan of hers for a couple years now, and I’ve specifically enjoyed how she manages to do more (in this case, creating the unsettling atmosphere of a city overrun with monstrous hornets) with so little (Twine is a valuable tool for creating interactive text-based stories, though she also uses a personal edition of Unity from time to time). I couldn’t tell you why the idea of Hornets -- that one single act of wrath caused the world to end -- appealed to me. Maybe it’s my latent fascination with purple prose. But I took it, basically wholesale, and inserted it into Naviim.

I couldn’t actually have it end, though. That’s the one thing I changed. Through some luck and a heavy dose of protective magic, a small community developed in the center of the main continent. And who knows? The hornets might die off and the world can develop again. But that would be my own story, and I haven’t gotten that far yet.

-F

No comments:

Post a Comment