Tuesday, August 11, 2020

The Grocery (Part Four)

Am I going to do one of these every time I make a grocery run? Probably. I mean, it’s as good a marker as any for how things are going in a general sense. I’m not being scientific about this at all, though. I don’t visit at the same time, I don’t have, like, a set routine where I look for the same things, and, perhaps most importantly, I don’t really want it to be. These are purely anecdotes I just pick up while pushing my cart around.

The most obvious point of interest is that masks are pretty much universal now. I imagine some of that might be to do with the two people that could possibly be greeters who could bar people from entry should they not be wearing one, but it’s a nice change of pace from a few weeks ago. By the same token, however, keeping one’s distance is less of a thing now, which is weird when the cart is such a handy measurement device. You’d think just being a cart-length or two away from other people would be easy for everyone but I still got people trying to pass me getting rather close for comfort.

Some of this I still blame the store for. One-way aisles have been more respected, but the intention behind them -- reducing clogging in these narrow areas -- perhaps less so. The architecture of your standard grocery doesn’t seem to support a pandemic, though I’m sure they only thought about that in retrospect.

-F

No comments:

Post a Comment