Tuesday, July 21, 2020

The Tenets of 2020 Movie Releases

So Tenet, Christopher Nolan’s upcoming movie, got delayed indefinitely. Finally, if you ask me. There was a good long while where it looked like marketing (people assumed Nolan himself but I haven’t looked into things enough to confirm this) wanted this to be the “movie that saves theatres this summer,” whatever that means, and while it was pushed back a few times before this, there was always the impression that yes, whatever happens, this movie is going to be played in theatres this summer. And then, of course, the world continues to have ended, so somebody finally pulled the trigger and put it on hold.

I admit I wasn’t really excited either way? I didn’t see the marathon of a trailer that showed in front of The Rise of Skywalker and the one spot I did see didn’t look all that exciting. In general, I like Christopher Nolan as a writer/director, but not amazingly so? I don’t know where that puts me on the “filmbro” scale, like, whether I’m elitist or hipster or both. I’ll still probably see Tenet if I have an opportunity.

But that’s the thing. Cinemas are closed right now and for good reason. I only really watch movies in theatres. So I’m stuck between really missing this thing that I really enjoy and knowing that not only that I can’t indulge, but that I shouldn’t want to indulge right now anyway. It’s something I think about from time to time, and that event has only brought it to the forefront.

-F

No comments:

Post a Comment