Tuesday, May 12, 2020

When I Can Do Everything, I Can't Do Anything

I’ve written about writer's block on this blog before, but what I didn’t mention as much was this age-old quandary: how hard is it to pick something with a swath of options in front of you? For example, imagine a menu with a seemingly limitless number of dishes, and you’re just staring at it unable to parse what any of the descriptions mean when the server comes up ready to take your order. Compare that to a similar scene but with only a few dishes on offer, which presents an easier decision.

Writing this blog is kind of like that, except the restaurant has a magical kitchen that can make anything you want, and you keep coming back week after week wanting to eat something different every time. It’s difficult to pare down the possibility space in that situation, even though, intuitively, each week reduces the possible choices by one.

This is what things like my Raindrops on Roses series are supposed to come in, reducing the options, but there are weeks I don’t really have it in me to write about what I like in the capacity that I feel these things deserve. So instead I just ramble on whatever topic and push it down the line. There are a couple solutions, and I’m trying some of them, but they haven’t started working just yet. Hopefully soon.

-F

No comments:

Post a Comment