Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Birthdays

At some point, you don’t really feel older.

I know it’s a bit silly of me to be writing about this sort of stuff at the age I actually am to the audience I actually have, but it’s not like I’m the only one with this observation either. Patton Oswalt did an entire bit about only being allowed twenty birthdays throughout one’s entire life. It’s the same reason, I imagine, that businesses only really break out the special branding for “special” numbers, though I did a whole post about anniversaries way back when that argued against that part of that too.

And I get people look for any excuse to throw a party. I try to keep an open mind regarding the common complaints against “gender reveal” parties for that very reason -- though the lesser-heard complaints involving how they misuse the term gender and enforce a binary are legitimate, this is more against people who decry the pageantry of it all. But especially right now, when it’s hard to throw a party, it’s really hard to be especially interested.

I did get some nice presents, though, so there’s that.

-F

No comments:

Post a Comment