Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Super Tuesday

It’s Super Tuesday today, which, for the non-American readers out there, is a pretty big political event here in the race for our presidency. My state doesn’t participate, but that doesn’t mean I can’t relate a pretty funny story that happened around this time.

I went to a Catholic school growing up, which meant mass on many religious holidays. Ash Wednesday was one of those days. This was both a good thing and a bad thing, good because it meant an hour away from classes, and bad because, well, when you’re in Middle School, church is kind of boring. I’m not going to pretend I was paying attention the entire time, but one moment on this particular Ash Wednesday service stands out.

During the homily, the priest began by asking everyone what the day before was called. The answer he was looking for was “Mardi Gras” or maybe “Fat Tuesday” would also have been accepted. But Mardi Gras and Super Tuesday had happened to overlap that year, so I stuck my hand up and shouted, from the back of the church, “Super Fat Tuesday!”

Only one person laughed, but it was my English teacher so that has to count for something.

-F

No comments:

Post a Comment