Tuesday, February 4, 2020

One Brief Encounter Among Many

We have our standard regulars at work, but I only really know a few of their names. I do feel guilty, though, forgetting the others, because they always seem to recognize me. Though in retrospect, they never actually call me by name, so maybe that’s just my own personal worry.

In any case, what I’m more interested in are the dozens upon dozens of other people we see daily that we never really see again. I prefer these moments because they tend to make better stories after the fact, like, when I’m talking with coworkers in between (or during!) meal rushes. My personal favorite actually comes from my first day on the job, where someone came in asking for a refund on their sandwich. Unfortunately, the reason for their dissatisfaction is lost to me, but that’s not the biggest problem with their story.

The problem is that, for as long as I’ve worked there and, according to coworkers who’ve been there longer, we haven’t for a good long while. When this was pointed out to them, they sort of whirled around and then said, “This isn’t Chipotle?” and, like, they don’t have sandwiches either so I’m not sure what that was all about.

It’s a fun story, though, and I’m glad I have it.

-F

No comments:

Post a Comment